You can apply for health coverage in the Marketplace 4 ways: with a paper application, online, by phone, or in person with a Navigator or assister.
The Alcohol Drug Council of North Carolina (ADCNC) offers Official Navigator Assistance for enrolling and applying for Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance coverage. We can help you each step of the way through the process.
Call us at 855.726.2559 for help or to set up an appointment.
Apply Online in 4 Easy Steps
Applying online is the best way to enroll because you will compare plans online or over the phone. When you apply online, you’ll follow a 4-step process:
- Set up an account. Start by going to the Marketplace page. First you’ll provide some basic information. Then choose a user name, password, and security questions for added protection.
- Fill out the online application. You’ll provide information about you and your family, like income, household members, current health coverage information, and more. This will help the Marketplace find options that meet your needs. Important: If your household files more than one tax return, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) before you start an application. This is a very important step. Please don’t skip it. Representatives can provide directions to make sure your application is processed correctly.
- Compare your options. You’ll be able to see all the options you qualify for, including private insurance plans and free and low-cost coverage through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The Marketplace will tell you if you qualify for lower costs on your monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs on private insurance. You’ll see details on costs and benefits to help you choose a plan that’s right for you.
- Enroll. After you choose a plan, you can enroll online and decide how you pay your premiums to your insurance company. You must pay your premium by the date the insurer provides before your coverage can begin. If you or a member of your family qualify for Medicaid or CHIP, a representative will contact you to enroll.
Apply by Phone or With an In-Person Assister
- To apply by phone, call 800.318.2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). A customer service representative will work with you to complete the application and enrollment process.
- You can also apply with the help of an assister who can sit with you and help you fill out a paper or online application. The Alcohol Drug Council of North Carolina offers Navigator assistance in person and via phone. Call 855.726.2559 with questions or to set up an appointment.
Apply via Paper Application
You can fill out a paper application and mail it in. You’ll find out whether you’re eligible for lower costs on private insurance, Medicaid, or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Once you get your eligibility notice, you can either go online to compare, choose, and enroll in a plan or contact the call center. A customer service representative will help you. If you or someone on your application are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, a representative will contact you to enroll.
Before you apply, preview plans and estimated savings
Before you fill out a Marketplace application, you can do 2 things to learn your options:
- Use a cost and savings calculator to see if you may qualify for lower costs based on your household size and income.
- Preview plans and prices available in your area.
- <script src=”https://calculator.getcoveredamerica.org/static/js/explorer-embed.min.js” data-hcgov=”true” data-width=”768″ id=”gca-explorer-embed”></script>
By using both the Kaiser calculator and the plans and prices tool together, you’ll be able to see the plans and full prices available to you, and find out whether you’ll qualify for lower costs.
Call us – 855.726.2559 [Toll-free]